Wednesday 28 September 2011

Ma-ma Sue

On Monday night I lost someone dear to my heart, my beloved grandmother Sue. She was an extremely talented lady and inspired me to be the crafty individual I am today. I'm at a loss to think of the hundreds of things she used to make and do that we'll never see again. While she did pass on some tricks and secrets, there are many things such as most of her trademark recipes, which have gone with her. Now they will forever be memories of the awesome things she used to make, create and bake.

I'll miss the freshly baked goodies; always sitting on the table waiting for us to arrive when we visited. Everything from her trademark Rock Cakes (a recipe that was never recorded anywhere, not even in her beloved little black notebook where many of her other fabulous recipes were written), to lamingtons, kiss biscuits, Raspberry creams and jelly cakes and that morning tea staple; fruit cake.

Sue was gifted with a needle, crochet hook and knitting needles too. I have fond memories of visiting her and my pa-pa (who unfortunately passed on a few years back) and it wasn't an uncommon sight to see either a ball of wool with crochet hook or knitting needles attached; something marvellous being created, sitting in the living room or in her sewing room.

One such project that she had on the go for a few years was the crochet blanket (mentioned in the previous post) she made for me using our favourite shades of purple, pink and blue. This beautiful, intricately detailed creation was one of the main catalysts for me to pick up a crochet hook and start to learn the craft.


Sue, I truly admire your courage and determination to continue on with life with whatever it threw at you. You were an amazingly strong women who never gave up and was always willing to give selflessly to all those you held close. Love you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment